Smith Rock Paintout This Saturday Is On Come Rain or Come Shine
June 9, 2017
Sponsored by Plein Air Painters of Oregon (PAPO) and Smith Rock State Park, artists at work will be located throughout the park from 8:00-11:30 AM. The current forecast looks like it's going to give them the break they need as well as add to the beauty they capture of Smith Rock with the drama of clouds and sun mix.
Come and vote for your favorite painting from noon to 1:00 PM in the grassy area next to the Welcome Center. Stay for Smith Rock's Interpretive Naturalist David Vick Geology Rocks talk from 12:30-1:00 PM, then watch the presentation of the People's Choice Awards at 1:30.
The full schedule:
8:00 AM: Artists register and begin painting
11:45 AM: Deadline for today’s paintings to be entered
12-1 PM: Voting for People’s Choice Awards
12:30-1:30 PM: Ranger Presentation on the geology of the park
1:30 PM: Presentation of Award
2:30 PM: Clean-up
Are you an artist and haven't signed up yet? No problem. Here's some info from the PAPO site for you:
There will be a display tent in which you can hang a previously finished Smith Rock painting during the morning. They are promoting the Art of Smith Rock and you will have the opportunity to sell a painting. When you return at 11:45 with your fresh plein air painting, you will replace the older one with this new one.
Here are a few artist rules for the Event:
1. All 2D Artists are Welcome.
2. There are no fees for this event except the normal Smith Rock Parking Fee of $5.00 /Or must have a current State of Oregon Parking Pass.
3. There will also be a small envelope in the packet for any funds you wish to contribute to be given with the Peoples Choice Award.
4. Artists may bring one piece of finished art ready to hang in the Display area well marked with their contact information plus title and price. They can turn this in at the time they register. This piece will be replaced as they turn in their finished, ready to hang (Framed with a wire hanger, information on the back and labeled) entry for the Peoples Choice Award.
5. All Artists need to bring their canvas, mediums, equipment, plus material to make their entry hang ready.
6. Personal comforts include WATER. Lunch, sunblock, chair, umbrella.
7. Plan to have Fun and ENJOY the Day
Rule #7 for the artists sounds like good advice for everyone. Carpe diem! To see more upcoming Events, go here.