77° and Sunny for the Annual Smith Rock Paintout This Saturday
June 11, 2018
Sponsored by Plein Air Painters of Oregon (PAPO) and Smith Rock State Park, artists at work will be located throughout the park from 8:00-11:30 AM. Registration is free and open at 8:00 AM if you want to join the party. Register on site at the PAPO Headquarters tent on the grassy area next to the Welcome Center.
Not a painter? Then watch the artists and work and then and vote for your favorite painting from noon to 1:00 PM in the grassy area next to the Welcome Center. Stay for Smith Rock's Interpretive Naturalist David Vick Geology Rocks talk from 12:30-1:00 PM, then watch the presentation of the People's Choice Awards at 1:30.
THE FULL SCHEDULE:
7:00 AM: Headquarters tent set up
8:00 AM: Artists register and begin painting
11:45 AM: Deadline for the day's paintings to be entered
12:00-1:00 PM: Voting for People’s Choice Awards
12:30-1:30 PM: Ranger Presentation on the geology of the park
1:30 PM: Presentation of Award
3:00 PM: Clean-up
Are you an artist and haven't signed up yet? No problem.
Just be there before 8:00 AM to register. There will be also be a display tent in which you will hang your one finished Smith Rock painting from the morning.
Here are a few artist rules for the Event:
1. All 2D Artists are Welcome.
2. There are no fees for this event except the normal Smith Rock Parking Fee of $5.00 /Or must have a current State of Oregon Parking Pass.
3. There will also be a small envelope in the packet for any funds you wish to contribute to be given with the Peoples Choice Award.
4. All Artists need to bring their canvas, mediums, equipment, plus material to make their entry hang ready.
5. The Plein Air piece needs to be turned in finished, ready to hang (framed with a wire hanger, information on the back and labeled) entry for the Peoples Choice Award. It may be for sale inside the tent.
6. Personal comforts include WATER. Lunch, sunblock, chair, umbrella.
7. Plan to have Fun and ENJOY the Day
Rule #7 for the artists sounds like good advice for everyone. Carpe diem!